Jean-Charles MOREUX was born in Mont-Saint-Vincent in 1889. After studying engineering, he opted for an architectural career and received his diploma from the Beaux-arts of Paris in 1922, becoming a member of the Modern Artists Union (U.A.M.) in 1930.

A renowned architect, he designed a wide variety of private residences, villas and hotels for all income groups, busying himself increasingly with every aspect of interior decoration.
He designed his first works in an architectural manner for the fashion designer Jacques DOUCET, the baron Robert de ROTHSCHILD and the viscount Charles de NOAILLES.

His furniture can be defined as fiercely rational and formal during the 1920s. Ultramodern, well constructed, it allowed for no ornementation beyond the selection of suitable veneers.

Despite these minimalist tendancies, MOREUX was persuaded to design a lavish table - famous today - for Jacques DOUCET's studio in Neuilly. The result was the opposite of spartan, combinig macassar ebony, crocodile skin, ivory, galuchat and crystal.

After meeting Bolette NATANSON in 1926, he slowly turned away from a more formal style towards and created new concepts based on ancient Rome, the Renaissance and the Baroque periods. As an architect and garden designer, he linked natural elements to classical lines and established a powerful style inspired by LEDOUX and PALLADIO.

He was named as chief-architect for government and public buildings in 1952. He died in July 1956.