Born in Milan in 1891, Gio PONTI graduated with a degree in architecture in 1921 from the Milan Polytechnic, and set up a studio with the architects Emilio LANCIA and Mino FIOCCHI in Milan. Later, he went into partnership with the engineers Antonio FORNAROLI and Eugenio SONCINI.

From 1923 came his public debut at the first Biennial Exhibition of the Decorative Arts in Monza, which was followed by his involvement in organization of the subsequent Triennial Exhibitions on Monza and Milan.

PONTI disregarded conventional boundaries and explored a profound analogy between different fields of art and design, ranging from the minor arts and furniture to overarching architectural schemes. He was a poet, painter, industrial designer and founding editor of Domus magazine (1928) as well as an architect. Through his designs and his work at Domus, he was the godfather of italy's post-war design renaissance.

From 1923 to 1930 he worked at the Manifattura Ceramica Richard GINORI, in Milan and Sesto Fiorentino, changing the company's whole output.

From 1936 to 1961 he was professor on the permanent staff of the Faculty of Architecture at the Milan Polytechnic.

In 1941 he resigned as editor of the magazine Domus and set up the magazine Stile, which he edited until 1947. In 1948 he returned to Domus, of which he remained the editor until the end of his life.

In 1952 he went into partnership with the architect Alberto ROSSELLI. After the death of ROSSELLI he continued to work with his long time partner Antonio FORNAROLI.

Gio Ponti died in Milan in 1979.