Jacques ADNET was born 20 April 1900 in Chatillon-Coligny, near Bourgogne. He studied at the Ecole des Arts Décoratifs. After graduation, he worked briefly for Tony SELMERSHEIM, perfecting his cabinetry skills. After the First World War, he joined La Maîtrise, where Maurice DUFRENE became a mentor and close friend.

In 1928 he accepted the directorship of La Compagnie des Arts Français which was established in 1919 by SÜE et MARE to promote "évolution dans la tradition". He changed its charter and rejected the conventional style.

There was a sharp transition in the 1930 to chromed metal, the shelves and doors embellished as before with a combination of mirror, leather, galuchat, parchment and smoked glass. His furniture became increasingly streamlined. A rigidly functional aesthetic was pursued, with ornamentation pared away wherever possible.

The 1930s brought a wide range of prestigious commissions, including ministeries, universities and ocean liners. At the 1937 Exposition, ADNET collaborated with René COULON on the Saint-Gobain pavilion, where the walls and furniture were made of glass.

In 1938 he had a stylistic about-turn advocating a return to traditional handcraft methods and to French classicism mixing elegance with humanism. This period was demonstrated in his choice of new artists : Hubert YENCESSE, Maurice SAVIN, Maurice BRIANCHON, Robert COUTURIER, Lucien COUTAUD.

In that way, he considered using the leather piqué-sellier on an iron frame in the 1950’s that included everything to do with attractive and comfortable furniture which was just perfect for furnishing a week-end cottage.

He remained president of the Compagnie des Arts Français upto its closure in 1959, he then became the director of the Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs. He died in 1984.